Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Why I do this

I love writing. I love telling stories. I think I'm a better writer than talker, but I know there are lots of people who would disagree. 

The original purpose of the blog was to keep my home club members updated on what was happening at Governing Council. Sort of self-serving, too, since I can't get my expenses reimbursed until I submit a written report. The blog is my written report.

But the blog is also to keep me engaged in the meetings and presentations. I have ADD and unless I have some way of keeping my focus, I don't last at these types of events for long. (My every-day blog is called "Random Thoughts from My ADD Brain")

It's now a week away from all the fun and games in California. I can't wait to get there and see all my friends. So many people can't figure out why I would so enjoy going to a three-day meeting on governance and rules and such. Having Dorothy Demarest as our rockin' parliamentarian has increased the fun about a 1000 percent (that's Dorothy on the right), but for many of the US Figure Skating officials, this weekend is like a family reunion.

Last weekend, our family lost a beloved member - Laura Maki - a wonderful judging friend from Michigan. Laura helped out everywhere and had such a passion for the sport, that she will be missed and a difficult person to replace. Fortunately for me, the news about Laura's passing came when I was at a competition, when I was with my skating family, and we got a chance to remember Laura together. We'll do the same next week. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment